Monday, June 1, 2009

Pym's Rest

At the urging of a friend and former student of mine, I recently updated the Stormhouse once again for a design competition which potentially has a small prize. This resulted in some new renderings, which may be tediously similar to ones that already appeared in previous entries.





That is, as you probably suspected, a copy of a famous portrait of Poe, near the end of his tragic life, in the foreground of the interior rendering. The portrait on the wall over the desk in the background is that of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, Poe's literary successor and author of At the Mountains of Madness, a sympathetic and Antarctic sequel to Poe's enigmatic and Antarctic The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

I've quite suddenly arrived at the notion (it's almost like it came from somewhere other than my own mind) that if I earn anything from this activity and thereby convert my subjective value for the project into something objective and monetary, I should apply the proceeds to a trip to the Antarctic. If I stand on the putative site of the Stormhouse, this project for a house where one could await the end of the world, will the world end, or would I have to build the Stormhouse first?


I think this will be the last time I will do any more work on this. I'm thoroughly tired of it after nearly a year, and anyway my Stormhouse project seems to have passed beyond my exclusive control.


Needless to say, the modeling and rendering program that this video is advertising was not used by me in either the creation of my design or the original illustrations of it, although you wouldn't know that from the narration. At least they gave me credit "for the model." I have no intention of objecting to this use of my design or demanding compensation, assuming I have any kind of recourse for doing so (through my own naivety in such matters---if it can be called naivety or carelessness, as opposed to a kind of fate for any sort of idea that can translated to a digital medium--I don't believe I do).

Incidentally, the Stormhouse and the Pavilion for Oblivion do make legitimate cameo appearances in a book published the other day: SketchUp: the Missing Manual, by Chris Grover for O'Reilly. Chris graciously asked to use my projects to illustrate several didactic points and I did give him explicit permission to use images of my work, for which explicitly I expect no compensation at all.

3 comments:

Paulo Guerreiro said...

Thanks Lewis, you finally found time to update the blog.
The storm house is great, I love the renders, but It's one of those that I would really love to see it build. It has some kind of iconic feel that I love, I suspecting that's why he keeps popping up where I least expect.
Cheers

Lewis Wadsworth said...

Thanks, Paulo.

For a project that began on a whim--a fantasy--this thing has accumulated more seemingly-viable construction detail than many real projects at Schematic Design stage with which I have been involved, and it has done so without the sort of hand-wringing indecision that often plagues me when working on things that are intended to be built. I don't know why that should be.

I'd still like to move on, though. But as you wrote, it keeps "popping up" again.

Chronos said...

The storm house project is great mate. Hope you have luck on that competition, you probably will deserve the prize.

-------------------------

After Da Pacem Domine, Mare Fatum Est, and Viagens, Coral of S. Domingos is on the way to release yet another CD on this year of 2009. In an independent recording, the choir will congregate in this work the product of hundreds of rehearsals, since 2001, the year of the release of Viagens. Check us out at: http://coralsaodomingos.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------
Após Da Pacem Domine, Mare Fatum Est, e Viagens, o Coral de S. Domingos prepara-se para lançar mais um CD ainda neste ano de 2009. Numa edição de autor, o coro irá reunir neste trabalho aquele que foi o produto de centenas de ensaios, e outras tantas dezenas de concertos, desde 2001, altura do lançamento do CD Viagens pela já extinta Editora discográfica Strauss. Visite-nos em: http://coralsaodomingos.blogspot.com/